Monchi confirms offer from Arsenal after shock return to Sevilla

first_imgMonchi was unveiled at Sevilla on Monday (Picture: Sevilla FC)‘It was the one that brought things together and had the conditions for me.’Arsenal reportedly offered Monchi a deal worth £2.5milliona year to become their sporting director.The Gunners are in the process of a restructuring of their club hierarchy and the snub from Monchi is a major blow for the Londoners.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityMislintat reportedly left his role as head of recruitment because he felt his authority was diluted by football administrator Raul Sanllehi.Monchi would too have had to answer to Sanllehi, who joined Arsenal last year just before Arsene Wenger’s exit.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Sevilla made a late move for Monchi (Picture: Getty)But Sevilla hijacked Arsenal’s deal for Monchi and managed to convince him to return to the club where he built his reputation 17 years ago.ADVERTISEMENT‘I appreciate the interest of Arsenal, perhaps the one that has shown the most interest, and of other clubs who have made contact,’ Monchi said.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘I have evaluated the proposals I had and I have chosen Sevilla. Comment Arsenal failed in a bid to bring Monchi to London (Picture: Getty)Monchi reveals he chose to re-join Sevilla over an offer from Arsenal because the project at the Spanish side appealed to him more.The new club sporting director confirmed Arsenal had pushed hard to bring him to the Emirates, but ultimately could not lure him away from Sevilla.Arsenal were thought to have bagged Monchi to replace the departed recruitment head Sven Mislintat in a new role when he left Roma earlier this month. Advertisementcenter_img Advertisement Monchi confirms offer from Arsenal after shock return to Sevilla Coral BarryMonday 18 Mar 2019 2:28 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link278Shareslast_img read more

Read More
Call means Cave’s no longer hollow

first_imgDarren Cave has admitted it is time to “stop complaining and start playing well” after being parachuted into the Ireland side to face Georgia on Sunday. Cave slammed his limited Test chances last year, claiming his “face doesn’t fit” in the Ireland set-up – but is now keen to put his controversial past to bed. “It’s important not to feel sorry for yourself: just keep improving, improving and improving,” said Cave of previous battles for Test opportunities. “The one thing that I probably found most frustrating is that I think I probably have improved a lot since 2009. “When I first got in the squad in 2009 I was just there because I was a young lad, I hadn’t really done a lot but I’d played okay and was maybe someone for the future. “I feel I have improved a lot in those five or six years, and that was probably what can be frustrating. “But now here’s an opportunity for me to stop complaining and start playing well. “I was on holiday last week in New York – I had a good time! “It’s all happened quickly, I haven’t had time to sit and worry about everything – so that’s a good thing.” The Ulster centre spent last week holidaying in New York while Ireland saw off South Africa 29-15 in Dublin, only to be called into the squad on Sunday night. Two weeks ago boss Joe Schmidt told Cave he was omitted from Ireland’s 37-man autumn squad, only to bring the 27-year-old quickly back in from the cold. Ireland head coach Schmidt hotly refuted influencing provincial selection last month, after suggestions the national set-up had urged UIster to switch Jared Payne from full-back to outside centre. Former New Zealand Under-21 cap Payne claimed his first Ireland cap in last weekend’s Springboks victory, but hobbled off in the closing stages with a foot sprain. Payne’s injury has opened the door for Cave’s recall, with Schmidt making 13 changes from the South Africa starting XV for Sunday’s Georgia clash. Payne’s outside centre switch has limited Cave’s opportunities at Ulster this season, but the seven-cap midfielder is keen to lay all his frustration to rest. Gearing up for his first Ireland Test on home soil, Cave admitted he was surprised to be drafted back into the squad on Sunday. “I’ve been around the game a while now and sure, it’s a fickle world, professional sports is the most fickle thing,” said Cave. “If ever I needed a reminder of that it’s been the last couple of weeks. “It was only two or three weeks ago I was on the phone to Joe, talking about how I wasn’t going to be involved in the camp week. “Then I got a phone call from him on Sunday saying come on in to camp and I’m thrown in to play there. “I’m delighted for it; it’s a bit more unorthodox than normal but I’m ready to play, it’s not a problem. “I’ve never been capped in Ireland before, and growing up since I was knee-high watching games at Lansdowne Road, this is a big day for me and my family. “Hopefully I can go well and put all the issues of the past to rest. “There’s been a lot of talking and humming and hawing about who’s doing what. “I just try to play as well as I can when I get the opportunity to play. “I would have liked to have played more for Ulster this year, but there’s been a couple of injuries and a couple of bad strokes of luck. “All that’s forgotten about now: I’m picked to play for Ireland this weekend and hopefully I’ll get a good run-out and give it my all and afterwards I won’t be sitting with any regrets.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More