Monchi confirms offer from Arsenal after shock return to Sevilla

first_imgMonchi was unveiled at Sevilla on Monday (Picture: Sevilla FC)‘It was the one that brought things together and had the conditions for me.’Arsenal reportedly offered Monchi a deal worth £2.5milliona year to become their sporting director.The Gunners are in the process of a restructuring of their club hierarchy and the snub from Monchi is a major blow for the Londoners.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityMislintat reportedly left his role as head of recruitment because he felt his authority was diluted by football administrator Raul Sanllehi.Monchi would too have had to answer to Sanllehi, who joined Arsenal last year just before Arsene Wenger’s exit.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Sevilla made a late move for Monchi (Picture: Getty)But Sevilla hijacked Arsenal’s deal for Monchi and managed to convince him to return to the club where he built his reputation 17 years ago.ADVERTISEMENT‘I appreciate the interest of Arsenal, perhaps the one that has shown the most interest, and of other clubs who have made contact,’ Monchi said.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘I have evaluated the proposals I had and I have chosen Sevilla. Comment Arsenal failed in a bid to bring Monchi to London (Picture: Getty)Monchi reveals he chose to re-join Sevilla over an offer from Arsenal because the project at the Spanish side appealed to him more.The new club sporting director confirmed Arsenal had pushed hard to bring him to the Emirates, but ultimately could not lure him away from Sevilla.Arsenal were thought to have bagged Monchi to replace the departed recruitment head Sven Mislintat in a new role when he left Roma earlier this month. Advertisementcenter_img Advertisement Monchi confirms offer from Arsenal after shock return to Sevilla Coral BarryMonday 18 Mar 2019 2:28 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link278Shareslast_img read more

Read More
Ex-DHS director says he was a whistle blower, will sue over his termination

first_imgDES MOINES — The state agency director who was dismissed six weeks ago says he’s taking legal action to clear his name — and to send a message to his former employees in the Department of Human Services.Jerry Foxhoven held a news conference Thursday. “Initially I just wanted to move on…then I think there was all this innuendo from the governor’s office and so forth that made it look like I did something wrong,” Foxhoven said. “…It goes back to those 4000 people. They needed to hear from me, ‘I didn’t do anything wrong,’ and that I stood by what I asked them to do which was follow the rules and do the right thing.”Governor Reynolds has said she wants the agency to move in a different direction and, on Monday, Reynolds said Jerry Foxhoven had not raised any concerns about using agency money to continue paying the salary for a member of her staff. Foxhoven says he first tried to speak with the governor.“Several months before this occurred I sent the governor a text asking to meet with her and talk to her privately and said it could be very short,” Foxhoven told reporters this morning, “and I never even got a response to it.”Foxhoven said he did discuss the matter with the governor’s chief of staff shortly before he was terminated.“The bottom line is I had a phone conversation with her and I made it very clear that I questioned whether it was legal or not,” Foxhoven said.Foxhoven said the legislature set aside money to pay for a new staff member in the governor’s office and he was concerned he lacked the authority to divert money from DHS operations to continue paying a member of the governor’s staff.“If they’re saying that they’re denying that I had concerns about that and that I was going to the attorney general’s office, then they’re not telling the truth,” Foxhoven said.Foxhoven’s lawyer will first file a claim with the Iowa Appeals Board, alleging Foxhoven was retaliated against and forced from his job because he was a whistle blower. Foxhoven’s attorney said it’s unlikely the state will offer a settlement and he expects to file a lawsuit against the governor, her chief of staff, her legal counsel and the State of Iowa in early 2020.Foxhoven, who is an attorney, said he’s looking for his own “next adventure” working for a non-profit group.AUDIO of Foxhoven’s news conference, 45:00Governor Kim Reynolds issued a written statement late Thursday afternoon.“As I have consistently shared with Iowans, many factors went into my decision to ask for Jerry Foxhoven’s resignation,” Reynolds said. “Foxhoven never raised concerns with me or my staff about the salary agreements in question, and he never asked my staff for a legal opinion or said he would be reaching out to the Attorney General’s office for one. I would never ask anyone to do something they thought was illegal. My focus remains on the many Iowans that DHS serves, and I am committed to selecting a new director who will take this agency to the next level.”last_img read more

Read More
DONEGAL BOXER CATHAL GETS BEHIND HARD-HITTING SAMARITANS SUICIDE CAMPAIGN

first_imgDonegal boxer Cathal McMonagle is spearheading a campaign to highlight the issue of suicide.The Letterkenny heavyweight has teamed up with the Samaritans for the launch of the ‘We’re In Your Corner’ scheme which was launched today.To highlight the issue, a large boxing ring has been erected in the waiting area of Belfast Central Station as part of the hard-hitting campaign. Cathal spends a lot of his time in Belfast and knows the reality of the problem of suicide.Cathal said: “It doesn’t matter how big or tough we are, we all suffer our own heartaches/troubles in life, big or small.“It’s not a sign of weakness to talk about your problems, in fact it takes a bigger man to admit he has a problem and ask for help.”Campaign organisers say they are particularly targeting men, who are said to be three times more likely to take their own lives than women. Suzanne Costello of Samaritans said: “We know that men remain a high-risk group and we believe that they don’t feel able to talk about their problems.“These can spiral out of control, sometimes with tragic consequences. Talking to someone is better than bottling things up and we hope that the poster campaign will prompt more people to seek support.” DONEGAL BOXER CATHAL GETS BEHIND HARD-HITTING SAMARITANS SUICIDE CAMPAIGN was last modified: February 16th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BOXERCATHAL MCMONAGLESAMARITANSlast_img read more

Read More