Debate delayed

first_img Related Items:hoa delayed Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, October 5, 2016 – House of Assembly was due to have met today into Friday, it is unclear if Government business in Parliament will resume tomorrow. last_img

Read More
NDAA Is Done President Signs Authorization Bill at Ft Drum DOD Extends

first_img Dan Cohen AUTHOR President Trump signed the $717 billion fiscal 2019 defense authorization bill on Monday during a visit to Fort Drum, marking the first time the annual defense policy measure has been enacted before the start of the fiscal year since 1996. Trump was joined by Vice President Mike Pence, Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and a number of lawmakers. After arriving at the post, the president watched an air assault exercise with troops dismounting from helicopters and taking up firing positions, reported the Watertown Daily Times. Trump noted the persistence of Rep. Elise Stefanik (R) in inviting him to make the trip to New York’s North Country. The president had insisted he had a scheduling conflict. “That didn’t stop [her], and here I am,” Trump said. Read the Hill story for an overview of the legislation. … DOD said Monday it is extending eligibility for benefits from Military OneSource — resources and other tools designed to support active-duty, National Guard and reserve service members, their families and survivors during their transition to civilian life — from the current 180 days to a full year after separation. Services include help with relocation, tax support, financial planning, health and wellness coaching, as well as confidential non-medical counseling and specialty consultations for spouse employment, education, adoption, elder care and special needs, according to a news release. The change went into effect with the enactment of the defense authorization bill.Photo courtesy of DODlast_img read more

Read More
Facebooks Zuckerberg called Pelosi after altered video but she hasnt responded

first_img Post a comment Share your voice Politics Tech Industry 0 Tags Mark Zuckerberg Facebook Would you take a call from this man? Nancy Pelosi apparently didn’t. James Martin/CNET Silence might speak louder than words for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who has criticized Facebook for not removing a video that was altered to make her seem drunk. On Tuesday, The Washington Post reported that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg called Pelosi to talk about how the company deals with misinformation but that she wasn’t “eager” to hear his explanation and didn’t call back. Their staff members have been in touch, though, according to the Post, which cited unnamed people familiar with the matter. Tensions between the California Democrat and the world’s largest social network have escalated after Facebook decided to leave up the doctored Pelosi clip. Facebook doesn’t label the video itself as manipulated, but on desktop computers it shows articles from fact-checkers alongside the clip, and it reduced the video’s reach on NewsFeed. Twitter also left up the video. Google-owned YouTube took it down. One version of the video, posted by the group Politics WatchDog, got nearly 3 million views, but it’s no longer available. The group claimed last week that Facebook took it down, but the social network said it didn’t. Pelosi said in May that Facebook’s refusal to remove the altered video showed that the company’s leaders were “willing enablers” of Russian interference in the 2016 US presidential election.Pelosi didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. Facebook declined to comment or confirm the Post’s report. On Thursday, the House Intelligence Committee is scheduled to hold a hearing on manipulated media and “deepfakes,” a technique that uses AI to create videos of people doing or saying something they didn’t. last_img read more

Read More
Airbus EFan becomes first electric plane to cross Channel

first_imgClose The Airbus E-Fan took off from Lydd airfield in Kent and became the first twin engine electric flight to cross the English Channel on 10 July, landing in Calais, France.Professor Simon Bradley, head of the Airbus Global Innovation Network, said it was a historic day in the companys history, more than 100 years after Frenchman Louis Bleriot completed the first flight across the English Channel in 1909.Were obviously always pushing the boundaries. This is the very first time we have flown an all-electric aircraft over the water, across the Channel, he said.Airbus test pilot Didier Esteyne completed the flight in 37 minutes and said that piloting an electric flight felt different from traditionally powered aircraft.Its closer than a glider. Of course, there is a little bit of noise, but less than any other aeroplane first and also, there is no vibration at all. Its smooth and its very quiet. Thats very important. Its a pleasure to fly this plane, he said.The E-Fan is a light two-seater aircraft, weighing 600kg; it can reach a maximum speed of 220km per hour.Professor Bradley said that people shouldnt have safety concerns over electric powered flights.These days, people use batteries in all the devices they have at home. They have batteries in their mobile phones; the batteries we are using today are standard lithium batteries. They are not anything strange. I think people will take it when it has been certified and when it has been proven to be safe. This is one step on that journey, he said.Its hoped that electric powered planes would help to cut carbon emissions significantly from flying.last_img read more

Read More
Trump sets up abortion obstacles barring clinic referrals

first_img Share This! Share This! Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar As Amazon burns, Vatican prepares for summit on region’s faith and sustainabilit … August 30, 2019 Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar,Load Comments,At Vatican summit, talk of destroyed files riles bishops’ critics By: David Crary Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email,WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration has set up new obstacles for women seeking abortions, barring taxpayer-funded family planning clinics from making abortion referrals.The new policy is certain to be challenged in court.The final rule released Friday (Feb. 22) by the Health and Human Services Department also prohibits federally funded family planning clinics from being housed in the same locations as abortion providers and requires stricter financial separation. Clinic staff will still be permitted to discuss abortion with clients.The move was decried by women’s groups and praised by religious conservatives, but it could be some time before women served by the federal family program feel the full impact.Women’s groups, organizations representing the clinics and Democrat-led states are expected to sue to block the policy from going into effect. Administration officials told abortion opponents on a call Friday that they expect legal action, according to a participant.Planned Parenthood, whose affiliates are major providers of family planning services as well as abortions, said the administration is trying to impose a “gag rule,” and the organization launched a full campaign to block it.“We’re going to fight this rule through every possible avenue,” said Emily Stewart, the organization’s vice president for policy.Planned Parenthood and other groups representing the clinics say the new requirements for physical separation of facilities would be all but impossible to fulfill. Planned Parenthood said the administration action is another attempt to drive it out of business, after efforts to deny it funding failed in Congress.Religious conservatives said the administration’s policy is a major step toward breaking down what they see as an indirect taxpayer subsidy of abortion providers.Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, called it “a major step toward the ultimate goal of ending taxpayers’ forced partnership with the abortion industry.”The regulation was published Friday on an HHS website. It’s not official until it appears in the Federal Register and the department said there could be “minor editorial changes.” A department official confirmed it was the final version.Known as Title X, the family-planning program serves about 4 million women annually through independent clinics, many operated by Planned Parenthood affiliates, which serve about 40 percent of all clients. The grant program costs taxpayers about $260 million a year.Abortion is a legal medical procedure, but federal laws prohibit the use of taxpayer funds to pay for abortions except in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the woman.An umbrella group representing family planning clinics also decried the administration’s decision.“This rule intentionally strikes at the heart of the patient-provider relationship, inserting political ideology into a family planning visit, which will frustrate and ultimately discourage patients from seeking the health care they need,” Clare Coleman, head of the National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association, said in a statement.Although abortion remains politically divisive, the U.S. abortion rate has dropped significantly, from about 29 per 1,000 women of reproductive age in 1980 to about 15 in 2014. Better contraception, fewer unintended pregnancies and state restrictions may have played a role, according to a recent scientific report. Polls show most Americans do not want the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade, the 1973 ruling that legalized abortion.(Crary reported from New York.) Tagsabortion Donald Trump family planning homepage featured,You may also like Photos of the Week August 30, 2019 Share This! Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email By: Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar About the authorView All Posts Share This! Catholicism Photos of the Week Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email News Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email,About the authorView All Posts By: David Crary Instagram apostasy stirs controversy over Christian ‘influencers’ August 30, 2019 David Crary By: David Crary Share This! By: Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar David Crary By: Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar News • Photos of the Week Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email last_img read more

Read More
Hegar Seeks To Move More of States Rainy Day Fund From Cash

first_imgFlorian Martin/Houston Public MediaTexas’ Rainy Day Fund now holds $12.48 billion, following an infusion of $1.38 billion in oil and gas revenues. The state comptroller is asking lawmakers for approval to make some changes to the fund.Comptroller Glenn Hegar wants permission to shift more of the fund’s cash into stocks and bonds. He said putting more of the money into higher-yield, long-term investments will protect the fund against inflation and bolster the state’s AAA credit rating.“The rating agencies have said, ‘Yes, you need an economic stabilization fund. You need money in there. But you also need to make sure that you are funding your services, whether it’s education or health care or transportation infrastructure,’” said Sherri Greenberg, clinical professor at the LBJ School of Public Affairs at UT Austin.Higher-yield investments also come with higher risk. While less vulnerable to inflation, they can lose value when markets decline.Any changes to the fund must be approved by lawmakers in the upcoming state legislative session, which begins January 8. To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: 00:00 /00:40 X Listen Share last_img read more

Read More
Negative social media behaviours may indicate depression

first_imgNegative social media behaviours, such as comparing oneself to others or spending too much time scrolling through Facebook or Instagram, may indicate major depressive disorder, a study has found. The study, published in the Journal of Applied Biobehavioural Research, showed that certain social media factors were linked with major depressive disorder (MDD) in a study of millennials. In the study of 504 millennials who actively use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat, individuals who met the criteria for MDD scored higher on the Social Media Addiction scale were more likely to compare themselves to others better off than they were. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfThey also indicated that they would be more bothered by being tagged in unflattering pictures and were less likely to post pictures of themselves along with other people “While this study highlights social media behaviours that are associated with major depression, it is important to recognise that social media use can offer many positive benefits, including fostering social support,” said Krista Howard, of Texas State University in the US. “The key is for individuals to develop an awareness of how they currently use social media and to determine what changes could be made in their social media use to reduce the behaviours associated with psychological distress,” Howard said. “Some changes could include reducing the time spent on social media, unfollowing individuals or groups that cause distress, or limiting online social comparisons,” she said.last_img read more

Read More
Cuba investing in hotels entertainment golf as it banks on Canadians

first_img Posted by Friday, June 15, 2018 HAVANA — Cuba will continue moving forward with its investment plan to add over 100,000 rooms, 47 entertainment facilities and 24 golf courses by 2030 banking on their number one international traveller, Canadians.The move comes despite uncertainty for the potential for American arrivals, uncertainly that has increased under the Trump administration.“After Obama there was this sentiment that people should come visit Cuba before changes with the influx of American tourists, but even under Obama, Americans are prohibited to do tourism in Cuba, so investment will continue as planned for our other valued international guests,” says Eloy Govea, Director of Canada, Cuba Tourist Board.The Cuba Tourist board recently announced a comprehensive blueprint for infrastructure growth and development extending from 2018 to 2030. The plan comes as a response to consistently growing demand for the destination, which typically enjoys over a million visitors from Canada alone each year. Cuba received 4.7 million tourists in 2017, a 16.2% increase over the previous year.More news:  Help Princess Cruises break the world record for largest vow renewal at seaCuba began intensifying the development of hotel accommodations in 2017. With an annual hotel infrastructure growth rate of 10%, collaborative efforts between the government and international developers have led to the addition of over 2500 hotels room each year.“Actually, the average is about 8,000 hotel rooms on average to be built per year until 2030, ramping up to about 11,000 rooms per year in the future,” says Govea.This growth rate is expected to swell rapidly as the country sets projections for 103,000 new rooms. The Hotel Varadero Internacional, the Prado y Malecón, and the Packard Hotel in Havana are on track to open by 2019.This renewed focus on accommodation capacity is matched by a commitment to invest in infrastructure and attractions in the broader tourism industry. Cuba is on pace to add 23 nautical stations and marinas, 24 golf courses, and 47 entertainment facilities over the next 12 years. These developments are intended to round out the country’s already robust offering of natural attractions, which includes 10 world heritage sites, 14 national parks, and hundreds of national monuments.More news:  GLP Worldwide introduces first-ever Wellness programs“Right now we only have one real golf course of 18-holes in Cuba –in Varadero – but the government is supporting 24 new projects. For example, a new one will be launched shortly in the western part of Cuba, which is the only one in the world that will feature a hole in the ocean,” says Govea.Securing foreign investment is key to the successful realization of Cuba’s goals in the sector. To this end, tourism authorities in Cuba have announced 87 management and development contracts with 19 international companies. These agreements will channel most of the investment from abroad into hotel rooms and theme parks, while domestic investment is funneled toward high-priority regions and provinces including Havana, Cienfuegos, Camaguey, Las Tunas and Holguin.For more information visit GoCuba.ca. Tags: Canada, Cuba Cuba investing in hotels, entertainment, golf as it banks on Canadianscenter_img Travelweek Group Share << Previous PostNext Post >>last_img read more

Read More