Woman and two young girls killed in overnight apartment fire

first_img Share1247 Tweet Email 111,362 Views Wednesday 8 Mar 2017, 9:35 AM http://jrnl.ie/3276108 Source: Christina Finn/Twitter Garda forensic teams are due on the scene this morning, and will liaise with Dublin Fire Brigade as they investigate what caused the blaze.Cluain Cronin is a small estate off Kilcronan Avenue close to the Grange Castle Business Park and the Grand Canal.Gardaí are appealing to witnesses to contact them at:Clondalkin Garda Station 01 666 7600The Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111Or any garda station- With reporting from Cliodhna Russell and Daragh Brophy Read: ‘We’ve been forced into this’: Dublin Fire Brigade to go on strike for two days Taoiseach begins speech at press conference by extending his sympathies to the mother and children who lost their lives in Clonalkin fire— Christina Finn (@christinafinn8) March 8, 2017 Source: Katherine Zappone/Twitter Source: TheJournal.ie/YouTubeUpdated at 10.45amGARDAÍ HAVE CONFIRMED the apartment where a woman and two young children died in a fire overnight in Clondalkin, west Dublin, was being used as temporary housing by a domestic violence agency.Another two people – a woman in her 30s and a four-year-old boy – were injured in the blaze, which broke out in the early hours of the morning.Gardaí and fire services attended the fire in Cluainin Cronan, Clondalkin at about 2.30am this morning.Five injured people were taken from the scene.A 27-year-old woman and two young girls taken to Tallaght Hospital were declared dead a short time later. The children were aged two and three.The other woman and young boy aged four were taken to St James’ Hospital and Our Lady’s Hospital in Crumlin, respectively. Both are in a critical condition. Source: Cliodhna Russell/TheJournal.ieInspector Ken McLoughlin of Clondalkin Garda Station described the fire as a “terrible tragedy”, telling reporters:I would like to express our sincere sympathies to the families of those that are involved in this incident.A full investigation had been launched, he said – noting that gardaí were keeping an “open mind” on the incident. “There will be a further briefing at a later stage.”He said gardaí were unable to confirm the relationship between the woman and the two children who died. Gardaí were still working to confirm the nationalities of those involved, he said. The two women and three children were all in the same apartment on the first floor, he said.Several other people were evacuated from their homes. Two were taken to hospital for treatment to smoke inhalation.There were four apartments in the block, and the entire block was evacuated.The apartment where the fire broke out was being used as short-term accommodation, where women and children can stay for up to two years.Local TD Eoin O Broin of Sinn Féin described it as a step-down facility for women and children who had come into contact with services and were seeking longer-term accommodation.He said the estate was mixed-tenure and also included council and private houses. O Broin described the fire as “heartbreaking”. Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Children’s Minister Katherine Zappone also expressed their condolences.Neighbours at the estate said they had been shocked by the news. Short URLcenter_img My thoughts and prayers with all affected by Clondalkin fire…— Katherine Zappone (@KZapponeTD) March 8, 2017 Tweet thisShare on FacebookEmail this article Woman and two young girls killed in overnight apartment fire A woman and a young boy were also seriously injured in the blaze at a temporary housing unit. A woman (27) and two girls, 2 and 3, lost their lives after a fire in this Clondalkin apartment early this morning pic.twitter.com/p0HGd1NysE— Cliódhna Russell (@CliodhnaRussell) March 8, 2017 Source: Cliódhna Russell/Twitter 48 Comments Mar 8th 2017, 9:35 AM By Cormac Fitzgeraldlast_img read more

Read More
Free WiFi facility in next 34 months Arvind Kejriwal

first_imgNew Delhi : The Delhi government Thursday approved a proposal under which people will be able to avail free WiFi facility within the next three to four months. Announcing the Cabinet’s decision at a press conference, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said people will also be able to use up to 15GB free data every month. As per the plan, 11,000 hotspots will be set up across the city in the first phase, he said. All the 70 assembly constituencies will have 1,000 hotspots, he said, adding 4,000 hotspots will be set up at bus queue shelters. Also Read – Subramanian Swamy cross-examined in National Herald case Advertise With Us Kejriwal said under the project, which will be executed under a Public-private partnership (PPP) model, WiFi with 200 mbps internet speed will be available within 50 metre radius of the hotspot. The government will provide Rs 100 crore for the project annually, he added. He said one hotspot would provide free WiFi connectivity to around 200 persons simultaneously. Providing free WiFi facility was a pre-poll promise of the Aam Aadmi Party in the 2015 assembly elections. Also Read – War propaganda delays removal of internet restriction in Jammu and Kashmir Advertise With Us “Every user will be given free 15GB data, which is, I think, the single biggest initiative of a government anywhere in the world. We will learn from the experience of the first phase of project and we will create more hotspots if required later,” Kejriwal told reporters. He said he was happy that the AAP has fulfilled its major election promise of providing free WiFi in the national capital. “In the next three-four months, the Delhi government will start providing free WiFi to people. Our government will provide Rs 100 crore annually,” he said. Asked about any misuse of government’s WiFi facilty, Kejriwal said adequate safeguard measures will be taken. According to the government, the WiFI hotspots will be connected with CCTV cameras being installed under the AAP dispensation’s ambitious project.Tlast_img read more

Read More