Monchi confirms offer from Arsenal after shock return to Sevilla

first_imgMonchi was unveiled at Sevilla on Monday (Picture: Sevilla FC)‘It was the one that brought things together and had the conditions for me.’Arsenal reportedly offered Monchi a deal worth £2.5milliona year to become their sporting director.The Gunners are in the process of a restructuring of their club hierarchy and the snub from Monchi is a major blow for the Londoners.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityMislintat reportedly left his role as head of recruitment because he felt his authority was diluted by football administrator Raul Sanllehi.Monchi would too have had to answer to Sanllehi, who joined Arsenal last year just before Arsene Wenger’s exit.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Sevilla made a late move for Monchi (Picture: Getty)But Sevilla hijacked Arsenal’s deal for Monchi and managed to convince him to return to the club where he built his reputation 17 years ago.ADVERTISEMENT‘I appreciate the interest of Arsenal, perhaps the one that has shown the most interest, and of other clubs who have made contact,’ Monchi said.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘I have evaluated the proposals I had and I have chosen Sevilla. Comment Arsenal failed in a bid to bring Monchi to London (Picture: Getty)Monchi reveals he chose to re-join Sevilla over an offer from Arsenal because the project at the Spanish side appealed to him more.The new club sporting director confirmed Arsenal had pushed hard to bring him to the Emirates, but ultimately could not lure him away from Sevilla.Arsenal were thought to have bagged Monchi to replace the departed recruitment head Sven Mislintat in a new role when he left Roma earlier this month. Advertisementcenter_img Advertisement Monchi confirms offer from Arsenal after shock return to Sevilla Coral BarryMonday 18 Mar 2019 2:28 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link278Shareslast_img read more

Read More
Solskjaer reacts to Man Utd loss to Palace, transfer market

first_img Sure, that’s true, but Solskjaer should know those excuses wouldn’t be afforded to Liverpool or Man City, clubs he’s trying to reach, and so they aren’t adequate now. Whether the club needs to buy some better talent or not, few will argue that United doesn’t have the ammunition to stick with Palace at home. Juan Mata wasn’t in the 18 and probably would start for at least half of the Premier League’s clubs. “You can see we are short and they deserved the points,” Solskjaer said after the game. “They were sharper than us in challenges, tackles. We started off slowly and that had a knock-on effect for the rest of the game when they got the first goal. We had a long season last season and we didn’t finish until August 16 and we have not had enough preparation time to be sharper. We’ve worked hard with the ones who’ve been here, there have been a few players away on internationals.” Read Also: Barca secure slim win over Elche to claim Joan Gamper Trophy “We will improve quickly, hopefully quicker than we’ve seen today,” Solskjaer said. “Today was a performance that you don’t see very often from these players because these players are better than that.” As for transfers? “We are always looking to improve if there is something out there that is available at the right price. We always want to strengthen. But we can all look ourselves in the mirror, instead.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… But Solskjaer’s men were wobbled, especially at the back, and the Norwegian manager left big buys Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Donny van de Beek on the bench. The latter came off the bench to score United’s lone goal. The Red Devils have spent plenty on players — yes, even under Solskjaer — and did get a very good performance out of Bruno Fernandes that was wasted by out-of-sorts Daniel James, Anthony Martial, and Marcus Rashford. Ole Gunnar Solksjaer believes his Manchester United team wasn’t good enough in Saturday’s 3-1 home loss to Crystal Palace. He also thinks the club needs to add some players in the transfer market. Promoted ContentBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them5 Reasons Why The Black Widow Solo Movie Will Be AwesomeYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime10 Dystopian Movie Worlds You’d Never Want To Live InWhy Do So Many Digital Assistants Have Feminine Names & Voices?7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty Penny10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do7 Truly Incredible Facts About Black Holes8 Ways Drones Are Going To Change Our Lives6 Major TV Characters We Were Relieved To See Leaving The ShowA Hurricane Can Be As Powerful As 10 Atomic Bombs7 Theories About The Death Of Our Universelast_img read more

Read More
Over 60 wounded in Algeria football clashes

first_imgAlgiers, Algeria | AFP | More than 60 people, mostly police officers, were wounded in clashes with supporters at a football match in Algeria, local authorities said on Wednesday.The fixture between top division club MC Alger and third league Village Moussa was marred by repeated stone-throwing before the referee called it off in extra time over fears for players’ safety, government newspaper El Moudjahid reported.The round of 16 Algeria Cup match took place in Jijel, 360 kilometres (220 miles) east of Algiers, where Village Moussa fans started throwing stones after their team conceded a third goal in the first half.Security forces responded with tear gas and ensuing clashes wounded 62 people including 45 police officers.Jijel Civil Protection official Ahlem Boumala told the Algeria Press Service the injuries were caused by “stones and projectiles”. Algeria has long been plagued by violence, sometimes deadly, with fans targeting both police and players.In mid-November around 40 people including 18 policemen were wounded after a first division match in the capital city.The previous month, more than 80 people including 30 police officers were injured after fans invaded the pitch at a top-flight match in Bordj Bou Arreridj, around 200km south-east of Algiers.In 2014 Albert Ebosse, a Cameroon striker with JS Kabylie, was killed on the field by a projectile thrown from the stands.The phenomenon has continued despite sanctions, fair-play campaigns and an interior ministry commission of enquiry.Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Read More
Brickwall Tavern Pulls Plan For Little Silver’s First Pub

first_imgOn Wednesday, Mayor Robert Neff said the borough council may take action on the matter at its next meeting, scheduled for April 15. LITTLE SILVER – A two-year-long saga over the borough’s first potential pub crawled to an unexpected conclusion last week when the developer withdrew its application. By ordinance, a projectof this scale would require230 parking spaces. The siteplan proposed just 36 spacescontained on location. Though the withdrawal was in their favor, Gale said, in situations like this, his clients don’t truly win. Krimko did not respondto multiple requests forcomment. The project, which proposed the construction of a two-story Brickwall Tavern with two bars on the first floor and a third bar with an outdoor balcony on the second floor, was unanimously dismissed by the planning board without prejudice. Though that potential exists, according to members of a resident opposition group that organized to fight the project, this withdrawal still feels like a win. “It’s a much better result than the alternative, which would be to have the application continue, so in that sense it feels like we accomplished something. Now we just have to keep our fingers crossed that the application never comes back,” Tom Kennedy said. At that February hearing the developer’s attorney, Jennifer Krimko of Ansell Grimm & Aaron, P.C. in Ocean, supplied a letter of intent from NJ Transit that outlined terms for an agreement that would allow Kelly 29, LLC to direct overflow traffic into the nearby commuter lot for the Little Silver train station. Noise pollution from patrons and musicians taking the party to the outdoor balcony of the second story bar, hours of operation that would see the last of the tavern’s customers departing at 2 a.m., and an exit point for vehicles that would potentially lead to an influx of vehicles through the Townhomes of Little Silver development were just some of the points raised since the hearings began. “It just wasn’t a good fit for that part of town,” said homeowner Kennedy. “The only other business in Little Silver open that late is the 7-Eleven. You’re talking about having live music late into the night. It was going to be too much.” During an April 4 meeting, planning board chairman John Chimento said simply, “We won’t speculate on why the application was withdrawn, but I will say, I think (Kelly 29, LLC) got the picture,” referring to the public outcry. A group of 15 townhome residents hired attorney Jeffrey B. Gale of Hazlet to represent them in the matter. Gale said the most egregious design flaw was the size and scope of the proposed project on the 0.63-acre lot. The developer, Kelly 29, LLC, could potentially re-submit the application at any point in the future, but would be forced to start the application process from square one. The developers planned to build an 11,480-square-foot facility with seating for 250 patrons. Gale speculates that since the NJ Transit letter was introduced, something went awry with the agreement. Kennedy and a number of his neighbors living in the Townhomes of Little Silver, a development located off Oceanport and Sycamore avenues adjacent to the proposed site of this project, 51 Oceanport Ave., had questioned several design and operational choices for the tavern. “In zoning matters, when you represent the applicant, they have the potential of winning and making a lot of money. When you represent the objectors, the only thing they win is the opportunity to maintain their property and quality of life. They simply maintain the status quo.” Though the application has been withdrawn, the question remains: What will happen to Little Silver’s first and only liquor license – currently held by Kelly 29, LLC – now that the Brickwall project has been shelved? “The testimony I thought was most prohibitive to the application was when their own professional said the lot was an appropriate size for a 2,000-square-foot Dunkin’ Donuts. What they were proposing was more than 11,000 square feet,” Gale said, referring to testimony provided by project engineer James Kennedy at a Feb. 7 hearing. last_img read more

Read More