Governor Wolf Announces 157 New Jobs with Ventura Foods Expansion in Franklin County

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Governor Wolf Announces 157 New Jobs with Ventura Foods Expansion in Franklin County January 03, 2017center_img Jobs That Pay,  Press Release Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf announced today that Ventura Foods, a producer of custom and proprietary dressings, sauces, and other flavorings, will expand operations in Chambersburg, Franklin County, a move that will create 157 new jobs.“Upon adding 157 new, full-time employees, Ventura Foods will have a workforce of more than 600 at its expanded facility in Chambersburg,” said Governor Wolf. “The company’s exceptional growth is to be commended, as it contributes not only to the commonwealth’s flourishing manufacturing sector, but also to the economic well-being of Ventura Foods’ employees, their communities, and beyond.”Following a recent acquisition, Ventura Foods will be relocating some out-of-state dressing, sauce, and mayonnaise business assets and operations to its facility in Chambersburg, investing more than $12.4 million in facility construction, renovations, machinery, and equipment. Ventura Foods has committed to creating 157 new, full-time jobs within three years, and retaining 459 existing positions.“We are thankful for the support of the Governor’s Action Team and the Department of Community and Economic Development as we continue to grow, strengthen and diversify our business,” said Alan Blake, executive vice president of manufacturing, Ventura Foods. “We look forwarding to bringing additional high-quality manufacturing jobs to Chambersburg.”Ventura Foods received a funding proposal from the Department of Community and Economic Development that includes a $475,000 Pennsylvania First grant and $56,250 in WEDnetPA funding for employee training. The company has also been encouraged to apply for a $3.5 million low-interest loan through the Pennsylvania Industrial Development Authority (PIDA).The project was coordinated by Governor’s Action Team, an experienced group of economic development professionals who report directly to the governor and work with businesses that are considering locating or expanding in Pennsylvania, in collaboration with the Franklin County Area Development Corporation.Last year, DCED approved nearly $1.1 billion in low-interest loans, tax credits, and grants for projects across the commonwealth and secured private sector commitments for the creation and retention of more than 200,000 full-time jobs. In the same timeframe, the Governor’s Action Team completed 77 projects – creating and retaining more than 36,800 jobs.For additional information on Ventura Foods, visit www.venturafoods.com.For more information about the Governor’s Action Team or DCED, visit dced.pa.gov.Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolflast_img read more

Read More
Kiwi kids turning into telly tubbies

first_imgStuff.co.nz 12 November 2013Kiwi kids are blobbing out and packing on the pounds under the harsh glare of the TV screen.More than a third of New Zealand’s youth are spending about five hours a day watching television – which new research has linked to our growing rate of childhood obesity.An international study of 284,000 children and teenagers, including 5800 Kiwis, conducted by the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand found youths who watch more TV are more likely to be overweight or obese.The link was particularly strong among teenage girls watching for five hours or more a day.The study found children nationwide are zoning out in front of the box for large chunks of the day, with 32 per cent of those in the study watching between three and five hours – and 11 per cent viewing for more than five.This is on top of other screen-based activities, such as playing video games and social networking. A further 38 per cent watched one to three hours, and the rest reported watching less than one.http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/9388981/Kiwi-kids-turning-into-telly-tubbieslast_img read more

Read More
US newspaper editorial – Girls must get over their ‘discomfort’ at seeing male genitals in locker room

first_imgLifeSiteNews 20 May 2016Family First Comment: Now it’s just getting wacky!“In this lunatic world, we place the burden of transgender progress on young girls, telling them to just get over it.”Exactly.Girls need to get over the “discomfort” they may feel at seeing male genitalia in the locker room, the editorial board of one of North Carolina’s largest newspapers wrote in a piece supporting the Obama administration’s transgender school facilities edict.The Obama administration’s threat to withhold federal funding from schools that don’t allow males to share restrooms, locker rooms, showers, and hotel rooms with females “is sure to bring more heat to the bathroom debate, but eventually the decree should have the opposite effect,” the Charlotte Observer editorial board wrote.  “It will bring acceptance, as these measures do, by showing that the answer to what happens in bathrooms is a lot less fearsome than the question.”“Yes, the thought of male genitalia in girls’ locker rooms – and vice versa – might be distressing to some,” the editorial board continued.  “But the battle for equality has always been in part about overcoming discomfort – with blacks sharing facilities, with gays sharing marriage – then realizing that it was not nearly so awful as some people imagined.”Got that, North Carolina?  A little girl staring at a naked man probably feels uncomfortable the way a racist felt uncomfortable when he sat next to an African-American.Ironically, the Charlotte Observer’s piece acknowledged that there are, in fact, inherent biological differences between men and women and people have a natural sense of privacy that prevents them from wanting to change in front of members of the opposite sex.The Charlotte Observer’s editorial admitted that the current cultural battle over bathrooms is, in fact, about whether people with male genitalia—men—should be allowed in women’s bathrooms.  This is a much more honest argument than the one leftists typically use, which is that men who want to access the women’s restroom are “trans women” and therefore every bit as female as biological women. “The answer to what happens in bathrooms is a lot less fearsome than the question,” the editorial board wrote, arguing that there is no threat from bathroom predators.The conservative blogosphere was quick to point out the absurdity of the Charlotte Observer’s arguments. “When a man exposes himself on the street in front of a teenage girl, the police always offer the services of a psychologist to the young woman to help her deal with the trauma of seeing a male penis,” wrote Rick Moran at American Thinker.  “Liberals will claim the context is different in a locker room or bathroom. That’s nonsense. To a teenage girl, a penis is a penis and context is meaningless.” “But to the Charlotte Observer and the Obama administration, teenage girls being exposed to the sight of male genitals is something to be ‘overcome,’” he continued.  “In this lunatic world, we place the burden of transgender progress on young girls, telling them to just get over it.”A civil rights activist who joined the famous Greensboro lunch counter sit-in called it “offensive” to compare the transgender fight to the civil rights movement.READ MORE: https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/girls-must-get-over-their-discomfort-at-seeing-male-genitals-in-locker-roomEditorial: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/editorials/article77475147.html I fought for civil rights. It is offensive to compare it with the transgender fight. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article78706432.htmllast_img read more

Read More
Di Canio mad as a hatter – Sinclair

first_img Di Canio’s appointment has sparked a flurry of controversy owing to comments made in 2005 to Italian news agency ANSA in which he stated: “I am a fascist, not a racist”. The Italian issued a statement attempting to play down the issue and named former England winger Sinclair and current Charlton manager Chris Powell as black players with whom he became close friends. And Sinclair told Thursday’s Daily Star: “I was not surprised to be named as a character witness. We genuinely got on well and I don’t mind giving my opinion on such a relevant and important issue within not just football but society. Paolo’s comments should be taken with a pinch of salt because he’s as mad as a hatter.” He added: “But I feel he should apologise for upsetting so many people with his actions and comments and make it clear once and for all if he is or isn’t racist or fascist.” Di Canio appeared to finally do that on Wednesday in a new statement on his club’s official website which read: “I am not a racist and I do not support the ideology of fascism. I respect everyone.” That came after the Dean of Durham wrote an open letter to the new Black Cats boss saying he was struggling to stay loyal to the club and that he found Di Canio’s “self-confessed fascism deeply troubling”. The issue had already prompted former Labour foreign secretary David Miliband to resign his non-executive role on the club’s board within minutes of Di Canio’s appointment. Trevor Sinclair has confirmed his friendship with Paolo Di Canio while team-mates at West Ham and claims the new Sunderland head coach’s historical claims that he is a fascist should be “taken with a pinch of salt”.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More
The NATIVE Partners Nike, Releases ILÉ Jersey

first_imgAs football is about the only revered sport that unites Nigerians, an Africa-first culture platform for millennials, The NATIVE, has partnered with globally recognised athletic performance brand, Nike, to release a limited-edition football jersey heavily influenced by the Nigerian culture.According to a statement by the firm Thursday, The NATIVE x Nike exclusive football jersey embodies the heart and soul of the football culture in Nigeria, acknowledging both the streets of Lagos where the sport prevails and the national football team in the design, with the area code (+234) printed on one arm, and The NATIVE logo on the other.It said the white lines on the jersey represent tire marks referencing the streets of Lagos, the eagle crest references the Nigerian national football team, the Super Eagles, and ‘ILÉ’, the Yoruba word for ‘home’ that appears on the back of the jersey unites the local and diaspora Nigerian community. It stated further that the pre-release of the jersey’s last December in Lagos, before the global release in January 25th, 2019 further highlights the cultural importance of football for Nigerians and the origin of The NATIVE who carry Lagos proudly on their back.The co-founders of The NATIVE, Seni Saraki and TeeZee, are both passionate about the sport and the relevance of ball to life.TeeZee is responsible for the popular Lagos semi-pro Thursday Night Football league, while Saraki has a football academy in Kwara State, North-central Nigeria.“We wanted to create something that wouldn’t look out of place on the field and in the club. In Nigeria, the football shirt has always been a vital piece in anyone’s wardrobe.“Taking inspiration from Adire (traditional Nigerian clothing) and the street football culture with the tire marks, we wanted to create a jersey that felt like home, which was why we had a pre-release last December in Lagos, our home, before the global release,” Saraki said.The limited-edition jersey will be available for purchase from Friday, January 25.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Read More
Ex-DHS director says he was a whistle blower, will sue over his termination

first_imgDES MOINES — The state agency director who was dismissed six weeks ago says he’s taking legal action to clear his name — and to send a message to his former employees in the Department of Human Services.Jerry Foxhoven held a news conference Thursday. “Initially I just wanted to move on…then I think there was all this innuendo from the governor’s office and so forth that made it look like I did something wrong,” Foxhoven said. “…It goes back to those 4000 people. They needed to hear from me, ‘I didn’t do anything wrong,’ and that I stood by what I asked them to do which was follow the rules and do the right thing.”Governor Reynolds has said she wants the agency to move in a different direction and, on Monday, Reynolds said Jerry Foxhoven had not raised any concerns about using agency money to continue paying the salary for a member of her staff. Foxhoven says he first tried to speak with the governor.“Several months before this occurred I sent the governor a text asking to meet with her and talk to her privately and said it could be very short,” Foxhoven told reporters this morning, “and I never even got a response to it.”Foxhoven said he did discuss the matter with the governor’s chief of staff shortly before he was terminated.“The bottom line is I had a phone conversation with her and I made it very clear that I questioned whether it was legal or not,” Foxhoven said.Foxhoven said the legislature set aside money to pay for a new staff member in the governor’s office and he was concerned he lacked the authority to divert money from DHS operations to continue paying a member of the governor’s staff.“If they’re saying that they’re denying that I had concerns about that and that I was going to the attorney general’s office, then they’re not telling the truth,” Foxhoven said.Foxhoven’s lawyer will first file a claim with the Iowa Appeals Board, alleging Foxhoven was retaliated against and forced from his job because he was a whistle blower. Foxhoven’s attorney said it’s unlikely the state will offer a settlement and he expects to file a lawsuit against the governor, her chief of staff, her legal counsel and the State of Iowa in early 2020.Foxhoven, who is an attorney, said he’s looking for his own “next adventure” working for a non-profit group.AUDIO of Foxhoven’s news conference, 45:00Governor Kim Reynolds issued a written statement late Thursday afternoon.“As I have consistently shared with Iowans, many factors went into my decision to ask for Jerry Foxhoven’s resignation,” Reynolds said. “Foxhoven never raised concerns with me or my staff about the salary agreements in question, and he never asked my staff for a legal opinion or said he would be reaching out to the Attorney General’s office for one. I would never ask anyone to do something they thought was illegal. My focus remains on the many Iowans that DHS serves, and I am committed to selecting a new director who will take this agency to the next level.”last_img read more

Read More
Dead Man Walking Author, Sister Helen Prejean Speaks at Pope John…

first_imgSubmitted by Pope John Paul II High SchoolAuthor of New York Times Best Seller Dead Man Walking, Sister Helen Prejean C.S.J., will be the Keynote Speaker for Pope John Paul II High School’s Light & Truth Gala on May 2 at St. Martin’s University in Lacey.  Prejean has been instrumental in sparking national dialogue on the death penalty and is helping to shape the Catholic Church’s newly vigorous opposition to state executions.A life-long resident of Louisiana, Prejean moved into the St. Thomas Housing Project in New Orleans and began working at Hope House from 1981 – 1984. During this time, she was asked to correspond with death row inmate Patrick Sonnier at Angola.  She agreed, becoming his spiritual adviser, and eventually accompanying him to his death. She has since accompanied five other men to their deaths.  In 1995 Dead Man Walking was made into a major motion picture featuring Susan Sarandon as Prejean and Sean Penn as Sonnier.Of tackling one of the most complex issues of our day, Prejean stated, “I have no doubt that we will one day abolish the death penalty in America.  It will come sooner if people like me, who know the truth about executions, do our work well and educate the public.”She has also been featured on an NBC series on the death penalty and has appeared on 60 Minutes, and ABC World News Tonight.  Published articles have appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle, the St. Petersburg Times, and the Baltimore Sun.  She has received no fewer than 60 honorary degrees from colleges and universities throughout the world.This Fall, JPII students brought Dead Man Walking to the stage, marking the high school’s first full-scale dramatic production.In it’s fifth year of operation, Pope John Paul II High School provides a college preparatory education to South Puget Sound students in the rich tradition of Catholic education. The mission of JPII is to educate young men and women who are intellectually strong, spiritually alive, and committed to serving the needs of others. The school is located at 5608 Pacific Avenue in the former Lacey fire station building, just east of St. Martin’s University.JPII is open to all young men and women, regardless of their faith tradition. We are committed to serving students from all economic backgrounds and provide financial assistance to families in need. The Light & Truth Gala is JPII’s primary source of scholarship funding.Reservations for the event can be made by calling JPII at (360)438-7600 or visiting the website at www.popejp2hs.org. Facebook2Tweet0Pin0last_img read more

Read More