Chelsea drop Costa amid rift, unsettling Chinese interest

first_imgLONDON (AP): Diego Costa’s Chelsea career could be coming to a fiery abrupt end, in a setback to the English Premier League leaders’ pursuit of the title. The league top-scorer has not travelled with Chelsea to Leicester following a dispute with the coaching staff, and won’t be playing in today’s game against the champions, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity yesterday because they were not authorised to discuss Costa being dropped from the team. The discord between Antonio Conte’s side and Costa follows the striker becoming aware of interest from China, the person said, referencing the country’s wealthy and ambitious Super League. The Daily Mail newspaper’s website first reported yesterday that the dispute was over whether Costa was injured. The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported online that Costa is aware of a Chinese club willing to pay him more than $30 million a year, but Chelsea is determined to hold onto its most influential player. The Spain international, who joined Chelsea from Atletico Madrid in 2014, has 14 goals in the league this season and is under contract until 2019. Costa has been a vital component in Chelsea’s revival after the team went from champions to an 11th-place finish last season. Chelsea have a five-point lead over Liverpool after their 13-match winning streak was ended by Tottenham in the team’s last league game. Chelsea have already sold two players – John Obi Mikel and Oscar – to Chinese Super League clubs in the last month. Chelsea made 60 million pounds ($73 million) just from Shanghai SIPG for Oscar. Despite the windfall, Conte said he hoped the club would not lose any more players to Chinese clubs, which spent more than $600 million on foreign players in 2016. “The Chinese market is a danger for all,” Conte said last month, “not only for Chelsea, but all the teams in the world.”last_img read more

Read More
Black fears de Ocampo out of finals with calf injury

first_imgDe Ocampo, who was acquired by the Bolts this conference, is averaging 9 points per game in the finals.Fortunately for Meralco, Reynel Hugnatan stepped up with 22 points on 7-of-12 shooting from downtown.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson View comments Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales?center_img OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson LATEST STORIES Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene And by the looks of it, Bolts head coach Norman Black fears de Ocampo could miss the remainder of the series.“We have a little bit of bad news, I think we probably lost Ranidel for the rest of the series with the calf injury,” said Black after Meralco beat Barangay Ginebra, 94-81, Wednesday night.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“We’ll have him checked by a doctor but he doesn’t look very good right now,” he added.The 35-year-old de Ocampo has been a vital piece to Meralco’s finals run and his absence is a big blow to the team’s bid to win the franchise’s first championship. Black blasts Cone after post-game spat Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMeralco finally won after dropping Games 1 and 2 of the PBA Governors’ Cup Finals but lost its starting forward Ranidel de Ocampo in the process.De Ocampo hurt his left calf in the first four minutes of Game 3 and did not return.ADVERTISEMENT Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’last_img read more

Read More
Parfaite Harmonie residents peeved over lack of streetlights, overgrown vegetation

first_imgResidents of Parfaite Harmonie, West Bank Demerara (WBD), have expressed frustration over the lack of attention being given to the housing scheme by the relevant authorities.The residents revealed they have made several calls to the Ministry of Communities as well as the Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC) of Malgre-Tout, WBD, for the removal of overgrown vegetation from unoccupied house lots and for the provision of streetlights.La Parfaite Harmonie is one of the largest housing schemes established by the Central Housing and Planning Authority (CH&PA) within the recent decade, comprising several plantations, namely Schoonord, Westminster, Onderneeming, Recth-Door-Zee and Lust-En-Rust.The residents are complaining that there are no lights on long stretches of roads. This, they say, has been aiding robbers who pounce on unsuspecting victims at night.“We don’t have any street lights. Persons coming home late in the night have to be extremely careful because these lil’ thieves does deh in all ah them dark corners waiting fuh ketch who them could ketch. Yet, yuh see them ain’t doing nothing fuh help ease the problem like give one or two streetlights,” Simone Marks a resident related.She explained that the overgrown vegetation and trees that have taken over unoccupied lots are aiding the criminals as they often run through the bushes after committing their crimes. She further pointed out that the community does not have regular Police patrols or even a Police Outpost.Sherry Singh, a homeowner also voiced dissatisfaction over the lack of street lights and the poor maintenance of the unoccupied house lots: “We are plagued by mosquitoes and insects because of the overgrown vegetation on these house lots.” She explained that many lots that were distributed are yet to be unoccupied, and the owners are not tending to their land, meaning it is overgrown with trees and shrubs.Residents are pleading with the authorities to install street lights in the housing scheme to prevent an escalation of crime. “Yuh know how much time we went to different people and newspapers asking them to highlight this problem? They highlight it yes, but still them people from the Ministry or Regional Office nah come and see fuh help the situation,” one resident complained.Additionally, they are calling on owners of house lots not yet occupied to clear the lots of overgrown vegetation. The residents related that they are pleased with the decision by the CH&PA to confiscate unoccupied lots from the owners, as they say these errant land owners are adding to the problems of the communities.Government has budgeted $5.279 billion to be spent on the housing sector this year. Most of this sum is slated to go towards community infrastructure works such as installation of electricity, streetlights, pure water supply and distribution network, and construction of roads, drains and drainage structures in eight regions.last_img read more

Read More
FSJ 1 & 1 after Day 1 of Provincials

first_imgThe Bantam Boys’ Ball Provincials continue today. The Fort St. John team has a record of 1-1 after the first day of play. They lost to Fleetwood in a close 3-2 game.Round robin games continue today with the first playoff game at 6:30pm tonight. As for FSJ, the Fury take on the Sooke Heat at 10:00 this morning.Click here for a copy of the Tournament Schedule- Advertisement –last_img

Read More
Video: Remember him? Former Tottenham midfielder scores as Australia win Asian Cup

first_imgAustralia have won the Asian Cup with a 2-1 victory over South Korea in Sydney – and one of their heroes was a former Tottenham midfielder.As the Socceroos chased glory on home soil 22-year-old Massimo Luongo fired home a 25-yard strike to give them the lead on the stroke of half time.Luongo only ever made one appearance for Spurs, which was as a substitute in a League Cup clash with Stoke City.In the game he replaced Sandro after 70 minutes but, when the 90 minutes produced no goals, he went on to miss Tottenham’s crucial eighth penalty in the ensuing shoot-out, which saw them lose it 6-7 at the Britannia Stadium.Eventually, after several successful loan spells he joined Swindon Town for £400,000 and the Aussie has starred in League One.His performances in the Asian Cup have been so good he was even the subject of a £2million bid from an unnamed Turkish club in recent days as interest rises in his talents, while La Liga side Sevilla are also keen on him.Check out the highlights of Australia’s Asian Cup win – and Luongo’s goal – below… Former Tottenham midfielder Massimo Luongo 1last_img read more

Read More
URGENT NOTICE: GARDAÍ IN ROADS WARNING

first_imgGARDAÍ have issued an urgent warning to motorists in Co Donegal tonight.Torrential driving rain and high winds are making driving particularly difficult.It will be the early hours of the morning before the worst of the weather has cleared. Many roads are flooded across the county, with driving conditions particularly difficult on rural roads.There are also reports of trees and branches down in several areas.A local Donegal Garda spokesman told Donegal Daily: “Road conditions are extremely poor at the moment.“We have patrols out across the county tonight but this is not a night to be driving anywhere near the normal speed limits. “People need to slow right down and take their time, especially on rural country roads; a fallen tree could be around the next corner and roads will be very slippy with the rain and this will extend normal braking distances.”Gardaí say patrols are on the Barnesmore Gap where there are very high winds.Drivers of high-sided vehicles are asked not to take to the roads over the next few hours. URGENT NOTICE: GARDAÍ IN ROADS WARNING was last modified: October 18th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegal weather warningrainstorm warningweatherlast_img read more

Read More
Palmdale airport to lose Scenics

first_imgPALMDALE – Palmdale Regional Airport is again facing the prospect of being without an airline after Scenic Airlines filed a notice with the federal government that it intends to pull out in March. Scenic filed a notice with the U.S. Department of Transportation indicating it will leave the market March 13. The airline has operated out of Palmdale since Dec. 29, 2004. “We are disappointed that Scenic Airlines has chosen to file a notice of intent to terminate service at Palmdale Regional Airport,” said Paul Haney, spokesman for Los Angeles World Airports, which operates the Palmdale airport. The airline filed its request Dec. 13, and the notice was posted Tuesday. “We’re hopeful they will reconsider and stay.” Haney said LAWA officials were disappointed but not discouraged with the Scenic decision. Regardless, LAWA intends to continue to market Palmdale with an eye toward regional jet service that would link the Antelope Valley with major airline hubs, such as Dallas, Denver, Phoenix and San Francisco. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake There are 60-passenger regional jets that would be a good fit for the Antelope Valley market, Haney said. “We think they would be ideal for Palmdale,” Haney said. The notice of intent did not state a reason for terminating service, but the airline for months has been struggling to get passengers. In August, the city of Palmdale bought $20,000 worth of tickets after airline officials told them at that time they were looking to pull out in October if passenger loads didn’t increase. Palmdale gave away the tickets in drawings at summer park concerts. Mayor Pro Tem Mike Dispenza said the pullout announcement was not a surprise and that he had been disappointed with Scenic’s marketing efforts. “There are many things you have to do when you open a business and one of them is letting people know you are there,” Dispenza said. “We need an airline to come in, be service-oriented, be marketing-oriented, and be part of the community. I’m sorry to see them go, but they were never really here to begin with.” Dispenza said he believes the Palmdale market is viable, but that it might require an improvement in the overall health of the airline industry before someone can make a real go of it. Palmdale Mayor Jim Ledford was out of town Wednesday and could not be reached for comment. However, in an interview Friday, Ledford expressed concerns about Scenic’s viability in Palmdale, but was confident that the fortunes of that airline would not derail efforts to attract other carriers. “I am very optimistic about additional service,” Ledford said. “I’m going to go out on a limb and say we will get another carrier next year.” When Scenic began service out of Palmdale last December, it marked the return of airline service to the Antelope Valley after a nearly seven-year absence. Scenic had long operated sightseeing flights but began to diversify its operations after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to include regional air service, starting with flights in and out of Ely, Nev., and Merced, Calif. Those routes are subsidized by the federal government under a program aimed at restoring air service to communities that lost it as the result of airline deregulation. Scenic’s Palmdale service is not subsidized by the federal government, but Los Angeles World Airports offered an incentive package estimated at $776,000 per year to help the airline gain a foothold. Commuter airlines United Express, America West and SkyWest operated out of the Palmdale Regional Airport terminal at Plant 42 in the 1990s – sometimes two airlines at a time. All pulled out after failing to generate profits with their Palmdale operations. The last airline to leave was United Express, which pulled out in February 1998. Jim Skeen, (661) 267-5743 james.skeen@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More
BREAKING NEWS: DONEGAL TO DEFEND ULSTER TITLE WITH CLASH AGAINST TYRONE

first_imgMichael MurphyDONEGAL have been drawn tonight to play Tyrone in the Ulster Championship.Michael Murphy’s team – still waiting for a new manager to be appointed – will have to play in the preliminary round against Mickey Harte’s team.The winners of the preliminary clash will play Armagh. It will be the first time in five years that Donegal will be without Jim McGuinness.The winners of Donegal/Tyrone v Armagh end of the draw will play the winners of Down and Derry.Joe Brolly predicted that Donegal’s fortunes would fall now McGuinness has gone.However he said confidence among the Donegal team could see them see off Tyrone.  BREAKING NEWS: DONEGAL TO DEFEND ULSTER TITLE WITH CLASH AGAINST TYRONE was last modified: October 9th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalTyroneUlster drawlast_img read more

Read More
Fishing the North Coast: Klamath and Trinity closed for fall-run kings in 2017

first_imgThe fall-run Chinook fishery on both the Klamath and Trinity rivers will be closed in 2017. On Thursday, the California Fish and Game Commission voted to close both rivers to the take of any size Chinook salmon after the fall seasons begin — Aug. 15 on the Klamath and Aug. 31 on the Trinity. Many factors led us to this point, but it’s hard to imagine that just five short years ago the number of fall kings returning to the Klamath basin was well over 300,000. This fall, roughly 12,000 spawners …last_img read more

Read More
Brizzly Releases iPhone App

first_imgThe Dos and Don’ts of Brand Awareness Videos Related Posts Guide to Performing Bulk Email Verification For power users, the Twitter website is often just a thing of the past. We’ve moved on to third party interfaces with multiple columns, special user list navigation, search, and so on. But what about the novice user that wants something more than Twitter.com? For that, there’s Brizzly, a web-based Twitter client that today is announcing the release of its awaited iPhone app, along with a neat feature or two.The web-based version of Brizzly takes the Twitter stream and opens it up for the average user. It expands shortened links into full URLs, making it easier to know what you’re clicking on, and turns links to YouTube videos or images into just that – embedded images and videos. In a way, it takes the guess work out of Twitter.Today, the company is releasing a full-featured iPhone app that was built off of the skeleton of Birdfeed, the company acquired by Brizzly last fall. The app is a simple and doesn’t offer some of the opening up of Twitter that you find on the website, but that would be difficult for an iPhone app to do, with it’s limited real estate. Links are shortened and images hidden behind links, but that’s as expected. Still, it handles multiple accounts, each of which you can view in its own stream. It also supports lists, mentions and DMs – all the standard stuff you would expect.As we mentioned the last time we wrote about Brizzly, when the company added Facebook to its stream, the tool tries to make the experience of twitter simple for the non-geek. In that way, it interprets and explains Twitter Trends, the hashtags that are most popular at a given time. The Brizzly staff looks at hashtags and writes up a quick little blurb that explains what the Trends are that day and why. The iPhone app prominently contains these guides as a separate tab called “News”. Brizzly is expanding on this trend explanation feature with its launch of the Brizzly Guide on its website. The Guide gives each of these trends its own page, which is a “permanent source for up-to-date information on topics people are talking about,” it says in its press release. In addition giving these explanations a permanent home, Brizzly has acquired WikiRank, a visualization web application based on Wikipedia data. It will be “integrating WikiRank technology into the Brizzly Guide” the company says in its press release. We can only wonder what will come of that, but it sounds interesting. mike melansoncenter_img Tags:#mobile#news#twitter#web Facebook is Becoming Less Personal and More Pro… A Comprehensive Guide to a Content Auditlast_img read more

Read More